Thursday 17 January 2013

Review # 1- NARS Super Orgasm Set and an Intro

Well if that title doesn't get your attention I don't know what will.

Being that this is my first post, I feel I should let you in on who I am, and my master plan (I promise rhyming won't be a common theme...lying might though).

After recently finishing my Master's thesis, I decided to purge my brain of all things pertaining to academic writing and dive into yet another attempt at becoming a magically successful and fantastical blogger. For those who are counting, this is now attempt number three.

This one is different...no seriously...

I decided my lack of commitment to my previous blog stemmed from a lack of theme. What was I supposed to talk about?? What I ate for breakfast? What I did at the gym? Funny things my cat has done? So really, I guess it wasn't so much of a lack of theme, but a lack of excitement in my life.

'Never Fear" I yelled passionately, I'll start a reviewing blog, because everyone cares what I think!!

(insert crickets chirping)

Well regardless, I'm doing this! What qualifications do I have to make myself a reviewer? Extra time on my hands and a urge for people to think I'm funny. I can't really imagine needing anything else.

This blog will consist of reviews of anything, products, locations, activities. Some will be local to my little city of Victoria, B.C, whereas others will be from far and wide.

So let's give this a shot...third times the charm! Enough chatter, on with the first review.

*****************************************************************************
So, if you are like me, you had to put down the booze and shortbread and take a much needed hiatus from the gluttony of the holiday season. My cookies and egg nog have been replaced with sprouts and green tea.

But all is not lost.

Apparently, on one of the many red wine fueled holiday nights, I indulged in a little online holiday shopping. Well imagine my surprise when recently all my purchases began trickling through my door. The item I will be reviewing is just such a purchase. For those of you who have not discovered Beyond the Rack, glance if you dare.

Despite it's name, the NARS Super Orgasm set is not from a company with XXX in its name. NARS is actually a line of makeup and apparently, to them, super orgasm means items in various shades of pink and gold.
The blush, polish and lip gloss trio, all bestowed with the name "Super Orgasm", were smaller then the retail version. Just large enough for your to try the product out before buying the bigger (and pricier), full versions.

First off the blush. The size of the small compact made it difficult for me to get the full girth (hehe) of my blush brush in the container. I did manage to get some product on it using a small brush, but found the effect of the blush quite subtle. Maybe I just like the full rosy cheeked look but I had to apply a couple layers to get the desired effect. Either way, I was left with a nice peachy sheen in the end. Take heed though, there is quite a bit of sparkle in the blush so if that's not your thing, steer clear. (Also, if you aren't a fan of sparkle, you may be on the wrong blog!)

The lip gloss was next. Now, I am a huge fan of lip gloss of any kind and this was no exception. The colour had a nice sheen to it, and layered on evenly. It is a good basic lip gloss, but alas, there was one major lip gloss faux pas....it smelt terrible! I know you aren't supposed to eat lip gloss, but I like a pleasant aroma for something I'm smearing under my nose. This lip gloss had that chemical/petroleum smell. Considering the cost of NARS products, I would give this one a pass and go for something a little more soothing to your sniffer.


                                         

Ding, Ding Ding, we have a winner!! I am a nail polish fiend, and I loved this polish. When I first saw it the hunky chunks of glitter made me a litter wary, but I was fabulously surprised. There is enough shimmer in the actual polish to blend the glitter and give it a nice layered effect when you put on a couple coats. This is a great polish if you are wanting to jump on the neutral bandwagon, but just can't give up the Bling!!


So, all in all, I give the red wine induced purchase of NARS Super Orgasm Set  3.75 Polka Dots out of 5!!

(I probably would have graded higher if it was from a store with XXX in the name...if you know what I mean ...wink wink wink). I kid!!

If there is anything you want reviewed pop me an email at: email.polka.dot.review@gmail.com

Sparkle on!
Polka Dot


No comments:

Post a Comment